Working with the Community
Key partner organisations in East Kimberley include the following:
- Binarri-binyja Yarrawoo Aboriginal Corporation
- Gelganyem Limited (Gelganyem Trust)
- Kununurra Waringarri Aboriginal Corporation
- MG Corp
- Mirima Dawang Woorlab-gerring Language and Culture Centre
- Ngnowar Aerwah Aboriginal Corporation
- Waringarri Aboriginal Arts
Communities supported include Kununurra and Wyndham.
Jawun Regional Director, East Kimberley> Read more
Shane joined Jawun as Regional Director for the East Kimberley in February 2021.
Before joining Jawun, Shane was owner-operator of an international expedition and nature photography business, spending most of his time guiding clients on mobile safaris across Africa. Throughout his 16-year career Shane has worked in various roles across the Environment / Conservation and Tourism industries, spanning five continents, specializing in conservation of threatened species, working with critical volunteer projects and coordinating remote area operations.
Shane has a degree in Environmental Management, is a qualified nature guide in Australia and Africa and has a suite of skills and qualifications from heavy vehicle operation to animal tracking. He was the recipient of an Australian of the Year Achievement Award in 2011 for his rapid response efforts in the aftermath of severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi; he grew up and worked across Cape York and the Torres Straits for most of his life and has developed close relationships with people throughout those regions; and has most recently worked closely with a diversity of partners and cultures across southern and East Africa.
Shane completed a Jawun Secondment from Downer in August 2014, working on an Ecosystem Services Brokerage project with Cape York Partnerships.
To contact Shane, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Manager, Regional Investment, Jawun> Read more
Prior to joining Jawun, Glenn had a distinguished career working with some of Australia’s largest corporates. He has vast experience in management, including running his own businesses for five years, in excess of 11 years banking with Westpac and NAB and running Telstra store teams across 3 states. Glenn joined Jawun 6 years after having completed a secondment in 2009 working alongside the Archer Point Trust in Cooktown.
In 2015, Glenn was appointed as the Regional Director for Jawun’s Cape York operations supporting the Indigenous communities of Cape York. In June 2017 he was appointed to the role of Jawun’s General Manager, Regions, supporting the local leadership in East and West Kimberley, North East Arnhem Land, Cape York, Goulburn Murray, Central Coast NSW and Central Australia. In 2019 Glenn was appointed General Manager Finance & Administration for Jawun; and in 2022 Glenn became General Manager Regional Investment.
Glenn is an avid learner holding a number of qualifications including a Bachelor of Accounting and an Executive MBA, which provided him the opportunity to study overseas in four countries.
Case studies show how Jawun secondees have achieved real results. If you are interested to learn more about Jawun's work in this region, click on the case studies below.
- BCG and Wunan — a powerful combination
- Empowered Communities in three regions in 2017
- A secondee impact on Indigenous Trust and a bank branch
- Wunan Transitional Housing
- Digital drivers of empowerment in art and culture at Warringarri Arts
- Driving Education Reforms in East Kimberley
- Supporting the Formation of East Kimberley Job Pathways
- Organisational Review of Menkawum Ngurra Aged Care Hostel
- Supporting the Development of the 'Living Change' Initiative
- Supporting the Development of Indigenous staff across The Kimberley